Monday, October 24, 2011

A day in the life of Diego Agrimbau

As promised, this is part of an interview with Diego Agrimbau. Because the interview is ten pages long (twenty, with translation included) I am going to post it question by question over a series of days. The first section is in Spanish and the second in English. In case the readers don't remember, I studied economics in school, not translation, so give me a break.

¿Cómo es el trabajo diario de un guionista? ¿Cómo organizás tus días y horarios?

No lo hago, la verdad debería tener algo más organizado. Lo vivo como una falencia. En general me levanto a las nueve y antes solía ir a un estudio aparte de mi casa junto a un dibujante. Con Fernando (Baldó), con quien hago mi tira de “Canillitas,” seguí esta modalidad por tres años. Yo llegaba al estudio a eso de las once o doce del mediodía y mi primera tarea era contestar mails, porque tengo una resistencia muy grande a sentarme y escribir por más que a lo que me dedique sea hacer lo que me gusta. Escribir me cuesta mucho, entonces empiezo a aflojar la mano escribiendo mails o artículos, cosas que tenga que hacer que no son guiones, y después de un par de horas de eso recién puedo sentarme a escribir, y si tengo un buen día escribo sin parar durante dos o tres horas, y de ahí saco todo lo que tengo que hacer. Es mentira si alguien te dice que escribe ocho horas seguidas guiones. Es imposible. La concentración que te demanda escribir y pensar es mucha. Cuánto toma escribir una página de guión, media hora como mucho? En ocho horas escribirías dieciséis páginas. O sea que en tres días tenés un álbum francés y en dos semanas una novela gráfica, y no conozco a nadie que haga algo así. Entonces de esas dos o tres horas muy productivas la gestión del resto del tiempo implica hablar con el dibujante, actualizar la página web, pensar, garabatear, cuestionar; siempre alrededor del acto en sí de la escritura.


What does a comics writer work on every day? How do you organize your schedule?

I don’t do it and to tell you the truth, I should have something more organized. I recognize that is a problem. In general, I wake up at nine and before [I moved] I would go to the studio I rented with a drawer. I followed that patter for three years with Fernando Baldo, with whom I make my comic strip “Canillitas.” I arrive at the studio at 11 or 12 and my first task would be to answer email. I’m very resistant when it comes to sitting down and writing, even though I’m employed doing something I like. Writing takes a lot of effort, so I begin to loosen my hand writing emails or articles, things I have to do that aren’t scripts. After a few hours or so doing this I can finally get down to writing and if I have a good day I write without stopping for two or three hours, getting out everything I have to do. If someone tells you they write scripts for eight hours in a row, they’re lying. It’s impossible. The concentration that writing and thinking demand is a lot. How long does it take to write a page of a comic? Half an hour tops? In eight hours you would write sixteen pages. So in three days you would have a French album and in two weeks a graphic novel. I don’t know anyone that can do something like that. So I have those two or three very productive hours and the rest of the time is delegated to talking with the artist, updating the web page, thinking, scribbling, debating, always around the act of writing itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment