Thursday, October 27, 2011

Agrimbau answers: How many projects do you need to do at the same time to make a living from comics?

¿Cuántos proyectos necesitás al mismo tiempo para vivir de la historieta?

Los proyectos se pagan diferente, no puedo medir por cantidad de proyectos. Yo sé que tengo que juntar cierta cantidad de dinero por mes como para justificar vivir de esto y no ser un mantenido por Laura (Vázquez Hutnik). Entonces sé que tengo algunas entradas que son mensuales, como la tira del diario, antes hacía historieta erótica (hasta el año pasado). La revista erótica es una de las pocas publicaciones que se mantienen mensuales (No sabía que la revista Kiss cerraría pronto). Y lo bueno que tienen las revistas mensuales, es que contás con una plata segura por más que sea poca. Te permitía programar los gastos de un año. En cambio los contratos por un libro por ahí es mucha plata, pero no sabés cuánto. La “vaquita lechera” de todos los meses antes era la historieta erótica, de la que me cansé después de cinco años, y ahora por suerte tengo la tira diaria. Y los talleres de guión que sumo a lo de la tira, y hoy por hoy como entrada mensual tengo la Fierro, mientras dure la serie, que es mensual. Juntando todo eso me hago el sueldo fijo. Pero la parte más importante de los ingresos proviene de los libros. Y eso es un trabajo muy a largo plazo, en el que uno especula la llegada de contratos armando varios proyectos. Yo trato siempre de vender por año al menos un proyecto al exterior. Si son más, mucho mejor. A eso se le suman las reediciones, que es otra entrada de divisas diferente. De todos los libros que tenés, algunos se reeditan. Esa es la parte más felíz del trabajo porque cobrás por lo que ya hiciste, sin trabajar.


How many projects do you need to do at the same time to make a living from comics?

Each project pays differently, so I can’t measure by the number of projects. I know that I have to make a certain quantity of money per month to justify my career and not be maintained by (my wife) Laura Vázquez Hutnik. I have a few monthly inputs, like the comic strip in the newspaper, and I wrote erotic comics until last year. The erotic magazine is one of the few publications that continued coming out every month. (I didn’t know that the magazine Kiss would close so soon [after this interview]). And the good thing about monthly magazines is that you can count on a certain quantity of earnings, even though it’s not very much. It allows you to plan yearly expenses. In contrast, book contracts can bring in a lot of money, but you are never sure how much. My “cash cow” was the erotic comic, of which I got tired after five years, and now, luckily, I have the comic strip. The income from the comics writing classes is adding on to the salary from the comic strip. Another monthly salary I have comes from Fierro, as long as the series I am writing continues. Adding all of this together, I have a fixed salary. But the most important part of my income comes from books. This is a very long-term type of project, in which one speculates on the arrival of contracts while assembling other projects. I always try to sell at least one project per year abroad. If I can sell more, all the better. To this I add the reprints, which is a different source of income. Some of the books you have are reedited. This is the best part of the job because you are getting paid for what you’ve already produced and don’t have to put in any more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment